Displaying records 1 to 10 of 27
Did daredevil action man Steve McQueen die leaping fences on a motorbike? Or racing fast cars? No, Steve died aged 50 from mesothelioma, a cancer caused by his exposure to asbestos. Pictured in the 1971 film Le Mans, McQueen’s heat resistant body suite, pulled over his mouth and nose, was lined with the fibres.
Julian Ransom (2011 - See all articles from 2011)
In 2009 Pennington Choices carried out our first Gas Benchmarking Index with 20 social landlords. Repeated in 2010, there were some recurring weaknesses in the gas servicing and repairs policies and procedures of social housing groups.
Mark Seaborn (2011 - See all articles from 2011)
There are a myriad of legislative and technical requirements for fire safety management. But success or failure is ultimately measured by the impact our decisions, policies and actions have, in reality, on our communities and the safety of our residents.
Kevin Manning (2011 - See all articles from 2011)
Apartment residents are reliant on the elements of construction that are present between their flat and their neighbour's to separate them from the others in the event of a fire. Legally, all walls and floors should be able to resist fire for a sufficient period to allow the fire services to extinguish the adjacent fire or enable evacuation. This article examines the two unfortunate vulnerable openings that may permit the fire to breach these enclosures.
Peter Jackman (2010 - See all articles from 2010)
Those with water hygiene responsibility for their organisation must have a legionellosis risk management strategy.
Daniel Pitcher (2010 - See all articles from 2010)
The long awaited publication, 'Asbestos: The Survey Guide HSG264' contains specific guidance for those providing social housing.
John Richards (2010 - See all articles from 2010)
Introducing the new regulator for social housing
Phillip Morgan (2009 - See all articles from 2009)
Guidance will soon be available on the control of asbestos in domestic dwellings.
John Richards (2009 - See all articles from 2009)
Landlords could be liable if risk arising from trees is not properly managed
Keiron Hart (2009 - See all articles from 2009)
Electrical installations must be shown to be safe and kept that way
Steve Hesketh (2009 - See all articles from 2009)