NHMF Contractor Forum Terms of Reference
These terms of reference are based on the terms used by the NHMF, adapted as appropriate to suit the Contractor Forum.
- The NHMF Contractor Forum (the Contractor Forum) is an unincorporated body set up to represent contractors working with the NHF Schedule of Rates (M3NHF Schedule of Rates) and related products (the Schedules).
- The National Housing Maintenance Forum (NHMF) is an unincorporated body set up to represent organisations that are licensed users of the Schedule, and receives funds from the annual licence fees on the Schedules.
- M3 Housing Limited (M3) is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 49665825 whose registered office is at Three Kings, 23 Commonside East, Mitcham, Surrey CR4 2QA, who publish and distribute the Schedules.
- M3 is serviced by HSS Trading Limited (Housing Software) a company registered in England and Wales whose registered office is at Three Kings, 23 Commonside East, Mitcham, Surrey CR4 2QA, with company number 05027719.
- Rand Associates Consultancy Services Limited (Rand Associates) are the producers of the Schedule of Rates (M3NHF Schedule of Rates) and a number of related products distributed by M3, and is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 04394343, whose main office is at Bell House, Bell Street, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 7JB.
Contractor Forum's aims
- To work with the NHMF on promoting good practice in the repair and maintenance of managed housing in social housing and other sectors in the UK;
- To work with the NHMF on the work of M3 in developing the Schedules to keep them up to date with good practice in repairs procurement.
- To discuss matters of common concern to contractors working on the maintenance and repair of managed housing.
- To work with the NHMF on promoting wider use of the Schedules for the management of repairs and maintenance in managed housing and other relevant sectors.
Membership of the Contractor Forum
- Membership will be open to any firm of contractors that is actively engaged in the provision of repairs and maintenance of managed housing.
- The Committee will approve the level and terms of annual membership fees.
- Members will receive copies of the NHMF Bulletin, information on conferences and seminars, and will be kept informed of discussions of the Forum.
- Each member (the Member) will name one person as their representative who will be the main point of contact, and can change the name of their representative at any time by informing M3 of the change.
- Any dispute on who is eligible for membership or who represents the Member will be determined at the absolute discretion of the Chair of the Contractor Forum.
Committee of the NHMF Contractor Forum
- The Contractor Forum will elect a Committee (the Committee) at its Annual General Meeting to represent the diversity of contractors working with the Schedules in the UK.
- On the nominated Representatives of Members will be eligible for election to the Committee
- The Committee shall have a minimum of 12 members and a maximum of 20 members.
- The Chair or any other official of the NHMF Committee will represent the NHMF at meetings of the Contractor Forum
- In addition the Committee may appoint up to 5 ex officio members from servicing organisations (including Rand Associates, M3 and the NHMF), who may attend meetings and participate in discussions, but are not entitled to vote on decisions and are not included in calculating the quorum;
- The Committee may co-opt members to fill vacancies or to represent a variety of different types of contractor or contractors from different geographical regions or sectors of managed housing, who will have the same responsibilities as elected members and who will then be eligible for election at the next Annual General Meeting.
- Members of the Committee are expected to attend meetings and to actively engage in the work of the Contractor Forum.
Powers and Responsibilities of the Committee
- The Contractor Forum is serviced by M3 Housing
- The Committee will act in the best interests of all contractors using the Schedules, with due regard to the commercial interests of M3 and other companies involved in producing the Schedules.
- The Committee may set up working parties and other subcommittees under delegated authority and appoint their membership.
- The Committee shall receive verbal reports and a summary of the minutes of all meetings from any other subcommittees and working parties;
- Each member of the Committee is required to declare any direct or pecuniary interest or possible conflict of interest in any matters under discussion.
- The Committee shall meet at least twice per year.
- At least 14 days clear notice in writing will be issued before each meeting.
- Five members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum.
- The meetings will be chaired by the Chair, the Deputy Chair, or the Chair designate, and if none are present the meeting shall elect a person to chair the meeting.
- Decisions will be reached by agreement where possible, using majority voting if necessary. In the event of a tied vote, the chair of the meeting shall have a second casting vote.
Annual General Meeting
- The Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held at the NHMF Maintenance Conference or at any other time approved by the Committee.
- The AGM will be open to all contractors working with the Schedules, but only those who are Members will be entitled to vote, with one vote for each Member.
Chair and deputy
- The Committee shall elect and may remove a Chair and Deputy Chair of the Contractor Forum, who will be subject to re-election after three years in office.
- The Chair of the Contractor Forum (or if not available, the Deputy Chair or the Chair Designate) has the power to act on behalf of the Committee in urgent matters between meetings of the Committee (Chairs Action), and should consult members of the Committee where appropriate.
- All Chairs Action between meetings will be reported to the following meeting of the Committee.
- The roles of the Chair and their deputy are determined by the Committee.
- The Committee shall appoint and may remove a Secretary in consultation with M3.
- The Secretary is responsible for
- convening meetings of the Committee, subcommittees, and working parties, and
- for distributing agendas and papers and taking and distributing the minutes of all meetings.
- The Secretary manages the delivery of services to the Contractor Forum.
- Further duties of the Secretary are determined by the Committee in consultation with M3.
Table 1: The Schedules
The table below lists the NHF Schedule of Rates (M3NHF Schedule of Rates) and related products distributed by M3 in which the NHMF has an interest. These are referred to in these Terms of Reference as the Schedules. Other products may be added from time to time.
|NHF Schedule of Rates (M3NHF Schedule of Rates)
|Planned Maintenance and Property reinvestment Works
|Repairs Ordering Schedule (ROS)
|Voids Ordering Schedule
|Repair Handbooks (M3Repair Handbooks)
|Locator Plus (M3Locator Plus)
|Model partnering module
|A variety of other specialist modules
Appendix 1: Roles of officers
Secretary of NHMF Contractor Forum
The Secretary of the Contractor Forum is appointed and may be removed by the Committee in consultation with M3. The Secretary manages the delivery of services to the Contractor Forum, and is responsible for organising meetings of the Committee, subcommittees, and working parties.
- The Secretary will service the Committee and any sub-committees and working parties of the Contractor Forum and manage the implementation of committee decisions and the services provided by M3.
- The work of the Secretary is paid for out of the fees paid by Members of the Contractor Forum.
- The appointment of the Secretary may be terminated
- Following two months notice in writing by the Secretary
- Immediately upon the Secretary becoming unable to fulfil their duties for any reason
- Following two months notice of a decision by the Committee to terminate the appointment.
- A Deputy Secretary may be appointed (and may be removed) by the Committee.
- Their role is to stand in for the Secretary in fulfilling any of their responsibilities, whenever the Secretary is unavailable.
Chair of the NHMF Contractor Forum
The Chair and their deputy are elected (and may be removed) by the Committee, and will be subject to re-election after three years.
The Contractor Forum Committee meets two or three times a year to advise the NHMF on the development of the NHF Schedule of Rates (M3NHF Schedule of Rates) and related products, and to promote best practice in the repair and maintenance of managed housing.
The Chair’s role is as follows:
- To chair the AGM and meetings of the Committee of the Contractor Forum
- Agree the agendas of meetings with the Secretary prior to each meeting
- Agree the approximate timing of each item on the agenda
- Chair the meetings
- Agree the minutes of meetings prior to distribution, subject to their approval by the following meeting.
- To represent the views of the Committee where decisions need to be made between meetings, including
- Advising the Secretary or their deputy on how best to consult with members to decide issues that come up between meetings, including consultations via email, setting up a working party, calling an additional meeting, or consulting specific members.
- Making decisions by Chair's action where appropriate, which are then reported to the next meeting of the Committee.
- Advising the Secretary on the frequency and timing of Contractor Forum meetings
- To represent the Contractor Forum at meetings of the NHMF Committee.
- To review the membership of the Committee and the extent to which it is representative of the contractors using the Schedules, and suggest action to remedy any imbalance in representation.
- To provide an independent point of contact for the Committee and Members of the Contractor Forum in dealing with any issues relating to the Schedules and the work M3 in servicing the NHMF.
The role of the Deputy Chair
The Deputy Chair is also elected (and may be removed) by the Committee of the NHMF. Their role is to stand in for the Chair in fulfilling any of their responsibilities, whenever the Chair is unavailable.
The Chair (and their deputy) should
- have been an active member of the Contractor Forum, preferably for a year or more, so that they are recognised by other members and have a reasonable understanding of its activities
- have a good understanding of the NHF Schedule of Rates (M3NHF Schedule of Rates) and related products, and the way these are used by clients and contractors
- be a good communicator
- be prepared to take initiative and use good judgement
- be capable of taking appropriate action to deal with any conflicts that might arise
Workload of Chair
The workload of the chair requires:
- a couple of hours before each meeting of the Contractor Forum to consider the agenda and liaise with M3 on the items to be discussed;
- attendance at the AGM and almost all Contractor Forum meetings (two or three a year) and the NHMF Committee, the dates of which will be arranged to suit the Chair's other commitments;
The post is honorary and carried out on a voluntary basis or with the support of the Chair's employer.