Introduction to the NHMF Contractor Forum
The National Housing Maintenance Forum's (NHMF) Contractor Forum was established as the trade affiliation for contractors working in the field of social housing, with the aim of creating closer working relationships between contractors, clients and sub-contractors. The forum works closely with the NHMF in promoting good practice in the procurement and management of repairs.
For many years the NHMF has had at least one contractor represented on its committee to ensure that it understands fully the contractor's perspective when developing the M3NHF Schedule of Rates and related products. Contractors have also been involved in various training sessions and conferences in order to promote good practice. The NHMF is keen to involve contractors at an earlier stage in the consultation process when developing the schedules and diagnostic systems that are now used by nearly all social housing providers; it feels that it would benefit from their wide practical experience. Members also support and contribute to sessions at the annual NHMF Maintenance Conference.
The Contractor Forum has been meeting since January 2012 and most recently in May 2019. The NHMF has agreed its aims and objectives, its membership, the fees needed to fund it and its terms of reference, which can be viewed here.
If you are already a member of the contractor forum you can visit the members’ area to get support, logos and M3 schedule reference files.
Membership is open to any contractor providing maintenance services to managed housing.
The company would be the member, with two named representatives who would be our point of contact.
Our members includes a good cross-section of large, medium and smaller sized contractors and specialist sub-contractors. The forum is chaired by Ross Green from Kier, and Ben Virgo, from M3, as secretary. It is serviced by M3 who also service the NHMF.
The benefits of membership include the opportunity to participate in Forum meetings and to shape the development of products and services that are widely used in the sector. Members are kept informed of the development of products, services, seminars and conferences under the NHMF banner, with opportunities to get involved in matters of interest to them.
Any contractors interested in joining the forum should complete the NHMF Contractor Forum membership form. Meetings are open to subscribing members of the Contractor Forum.
The next Contractor Forum meeting, will be on Tuesday 21 January 2020 at Hilton Birmingham Metropole, The NEC Birmingham, Pendigo way, Birmingham, B40 1PP, UK.
Topics discussed at previous meetings included:
- the need to manage customer expectations due to budget reductions and the associated impact on service delivery
- how to deal with the fact that IT systems, while data rich, are not speaking to each other and are not being used intelligently
- client reductions in skilled staff causing contractors to have to assess and inform residents when repairs can be done
- the most common and serious issues being faced by contractors and DLOs
- producing a procurement guide aimed at reducing some of the costs of tendering for both contractor and client whilst promoting effective competition
- providing direction for market development (price per property is being used but could the industry develop this further?)
- establishing an industry standard for the handling of TUPE at contract handover
- establishing consistent standards of best practice
- training to improve how the SoR is used to reduce differences in the way the descriptions are interpreted
Minutes from the previous meeting are available in the members' area.